When you first start dating someone, all is bliss. You're so head-over-heels, that every little thing that they do is charming. You don't notice (or care) that they feel the need to get a new glass with every one of their 9 glasses of milk a day. You think the fact that they can't sit still while on the phone (if they actually answer it) and must do speed circuits around the house while talking is cute.
Then later... when the hearts fade a bit out of your eyes... things start to bug you a bit. Then they drive you nuts. Then you get married. Then 13 years go by. OK... by the time you're married for a while, the things either still drive you nuts (my grandparents were married for 50+ years and my grandpa's pseudo-whistling in the car would still produce teeth-grinding, lip-pursing stares out of the window by grandma. I'm pretty sure he knew, but he just kept on whistlin'... I swear that occasionally I'd see him slip her a glance, then grin... but he might have just been happy to see her there... might have). Anyway, you either let the quirks bug you, or you get over it.
One of the things that Art did at the beginning was fall asleep with his eyes open. The first few times he did it, it really creeped me out. Now, I don't even notice... and actually, he doesn't really do it anymore anyway. Anyway, he still has some quirks that get to me (see pacing/milk-cups at top of page), but others I've gotten over (the inability to swallow fluids without getting a big mouthful then taking 4 rather loud gulps to get it all down... no one else ever seems to notice it, but it took me a good 7 or 8 years to get past that one).
Well, I guess some quirks are passed down. Both of our kids must pace circuits while on the phone, and Cam sleeps with his eyes open. Whatever.
Cam must also have "Tromp the Dinosaur" to get to sleep. Tromp doesn't have to go anywhere with us (unless its an overnight trip), and can stay home and guard his bed, but when bedtime comes, Tromp is clamped into his arm, and Tromp's poor little head or tail goes in Cam's mouth. Fortunately, Tromp is machine washable (thank you, Ty corporation). We have 3 Tromps in rotation to facilitate washing. I know that Tromp is looking kinda gross, but after 2 years, that's pretty much what they look like right out of the dryer.
Here are a couple of pictures I took of Cam yesterday afternoon while he was napping on the couch.



4 comments:
Great pics. I can't believe you think Art has any quirks, I mean no one else in the world likes potatoes and gravy either! Love Dad
Okay, that was an AWESOME post. And I'm in love with the new background. I want to steal that one for mine. You've talked about the sleeping with the eyes open thing before, but it's a whole lot different when you see it for yourself!!! Does he snore?!
Actually, yes he does... so does Serayah for that matter. But she sleeps with her eyes closed.
Love this post! So funny! (Reminded me that I can't stand to listen to Erik eat & while I was reading your post he was doing my ever favorite over analyzing something TO DEATH). Those pics are cool. They give me the ebbie jeebies, but way cool!
Post a Comment